This recipe is divided into two parts. In the first part, we'll cook a delicious traditional Bengali pulao using TINY Kalijira and fresh herbs. In the second part, we'll whip up some meatballs to pair with the pulao for a healthy, complete meal. However, feel free to skip the second part if you'd like - this fresh herb pulao goes great with chicken, salmon, tofu, and countless other options. Make it your own!
Part One: Fresh Herb Pulao
• 1 cup TINY Kalijira
• 1 TINY Kalijira whole spice pack
• 1 ¾ cups water
• oil (as desired)
• butter (as desired)
• salt (as desired)
• fresh herbs (as desired)
1. Chop fresh herbs on a cutting board.
2. Rinse the rice in cold water in a fine mesh sieve.
3. In a large pan, heat the oil on high heat. Add the whole spices and toast them for about 30 seconds. Next, add the rice and continue toasting for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
4. Add water, butter, salt, and fresh herbs to the pan. Cover the pan and bring to a boil.
5. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 8 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and let sit, still covered, for 5 minutes.
7. The pulao is ready to serve! Move on to part two, or cook your own pairing.
Part Two: Herb Meatballs
• 1 lb ground beef
• 1 egg
• 2 tsp garlic
• 2 tsp ginger
• 2 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp red chili powder
• 1 tsp salt
• ½ cup bread crumbs
• 1 cup fresh herbs (chives, scallions, garlic)
• 2 tsp olive oil
1. In a mixing bowl, combine all of the above ingredients and mix thoroughly. Roll into 5 or 6 meatballs.
2. Transfer the meatballs to a pan. On x heat, cook thoroughly for x minutes, flipping the meatballs occasionally to ensure that they cook evenly.
3. Serve with the fresh herb pulao and enjoy!